Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Welcome to the Family of God

Today is a special day. Today is Annie's birthday, Courtney's birthday, and Amanda's birthday. Today I declared my major. Today is also the day when God said, "Welcome to my family". I'm pretty sure today is the first day I've realized it was my baptismal birthday actually on September 10th.

Three or so years ago, I went on a retreat with my church. Picked at random, Courtney was my roommate. She was also one of two other people I knew on the trip. That night, we were too excited about the trip to go to bed. I really wanted a picture of her to commemorate our fun times, but she didn't so much like that idea. Instead, she wrapped herself up in her covers and refused to show her face (I have photos of that). So I pushed her off the bed. Then, when we finally settled down and were ready for bed we learned a very small detail about our room that created some very big problems. You see, the architect put light switches right next to each bed. Our conversations went something like this,
"Good night for real now."
"Good night."
Two minutes of silence.
Soft click.
"AHHHH!!! COURTNEY!!"
"Hahaha!"
Giggle city.
Soft click.
Five minute conversation.
"Good night for real now again. I promise this time!"
"Suuure you do. Good night."
Two minutes of silence.
Soft click.
"AHHHHH!!!! COURTNEY!!!"
Soft click.
Giggle city.
Eventually, we did finally go to sleep. The following morning we were quite rudely awakened by the singing of "Cock-a-doodle Doo" outside our door with the banging of pots and pans. It just so happened our telephone wake-up call came at the same time. Since Courtney kept me up all night, I allowed her to find a way to answer them both simultaneously. :-)

Even though she has a passion for light switches and a strong desire to wake me awake at night, Courtney and I have some great memories and great black mail stories to tell at a later date. :-) Happy birthday!

My favorite Amanda quote:
"I think this place is closed," Brittany as we pulled into a parking lot to ask for directions.
"If it's closed, then how do you account for all of the cars chillaxin' in the parking lot?" Amanda asked with a very serious tone.
"Um... it's a car dealership," we all responded laughing.

In Christ,
<>< Katie

"[Jesus] said to them, 'Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.'" Mark 16:15-16

No comments: