Monday, November 30, 2009

A Thousand Tomorrows

Well, Thanksgiving is over. Back to the grunt and grind of normal activities added with the stress of finals, buying Christmas presents, and any last-minute projects professors want to shove into the semester. Yoinks!

As I sit here back to class on a Monday morning, I can't help but wonder if anything has changed since I sat in this same place and the same time last week Monday. Sure, I got three days off classes, traveled 800 miles (twice), spent time with my family, and Christmas-treed (verb-it!).

Yet still. What has changed? The temperature is the same. It's still overcast and rainy. It's still crunch time.

Something has changed. My rule of thumb is if I'm going on an airplane, the textbooks aren't coming with me. One of my textbooks made its way into my "to take home" heap last week but I left it here and turned in a project that was not done to the best of my ability, but I don't regret it. Instead of stressing out during break, I literally took a break. I read a book. A tradition started last Christmas when I had a 13-hour travel day to get home and I read a whole book in that time. Ever since then, it's been my goal to read one book every break. This Thanksgiving, I made it! (Fall Break I didn't...).

I read A Thousand Tomorrows by Karen Kingsbury. It's an interesting novel about a horse racer who struggles with Cystic Fibrosis and a cowboy who has anger issues. An unlikely pair who both learn to love. While Kingsbury's grammar is less than something to be desired, the book is a good read. It doesn't get added to my "must read" list that I recommend to everyone but I definitely don't regret it. I'd give it a 4 out of 5.

A thousand tomorrows. We aren't promised that. We aren't even promised to see today to completion. A thousand tomorrows. Tomorrow may bring tragedy, disaster, or final exams(or all of the above) but today is still today. Today--although gloomy and rainy--is a day the Lord has made therefore something in it is beautiful.

I think that's my theme for this semester: Today is still a day the Lord made therefore it is beautiful.

A thousand tomorrows. Gloom. Sun. Rain. Shine. Snow. Clouds. Tomorrow.

Today. The day the Lord has made. Smile.

<>< Katie

No comments: