Saturday, February 6, 2010

Rainy Days

Yesterday morning I passed my FOCUS brother Jordan on his way to breakfast.

"Hey, how are you?" I asked giving him a hug. I knew the answer before he spoke.

"Not good. It's raining. I HATE the rain. Absolutely hate it more than anything else in the world. It's going to be a bad day," he explained. As someone whose mood is often dictated by the weather, I understood. Rainy days are often miserable but "hate" is a strong word.

"Do me a favor, try to find one thing good in today. Yeah, it's rainy and gross, but God still made today and therefore there must be one thing good in it," I coached. He kind of groaned, and we went our separate ways.

I don't see Jordan very often and was surprised when I saw him again at dinner. I asked him about his good thing for the day.

"I got a good grade on a test," he said proudly.

In the next few minutes we made a list of good things:
1. Good grade
2. He's alive and breathing
3. It's Friday
4. We saw each other twice

Not bad for someone who hates the rain more than anything! Sure, they're all pretty basic but they're still reasons to smile on a no good, very bad rainy day.

This morning, I saw him again and asked how he was doing.

"Today is much better. It's not raining today. My feet are dry!" His girlfriend and I teased him about getting some rainboats. Yeah, that idea didn't fly. Maybe dry feet was his good thing for today.

I think we all have days like Jordan where we know before breakfast that it's going to be a bad day. Rain, headaches, heavy backpacks, and nasty caf food make my days bad. Smiles and hugs from friends, cancelled classes, and blog comments make my days better.

I'd challenge you to do the same thing I often encourage myself to do and I suggested Jordan do: find one thing good in today. Even as simple and being grateful that you got out of bed this morning.

"This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it" - Psalm 118:24 (emphasis mine)

<>< Katie

2 comments:

StorytellERdoc said...

Excellent post! And good for you for reminding him that rain is but a passing thought as to what's important.

Casey said...

Great reminder Katie! The weather may be gross -and COLD- but we always still have reasons to be thankful. =)