Monday, March 28, 2011

Pitiful or Beautiful?

Our last morning in Nicaragua, we left at 4:30am.  As we were driving towards Managua we watched the moon go down and the sun rise in the mountains hand-crafted by our God.  The moon set was breath-taking.

I handed my camera to Jessica for a photograph.  It failed to capture the moment.

"Pitiful," Marie said upon viewing the photo.

Jessica handed the camera back to me.  "Beautiful," she said.

It was in that moment that I learned the difference between pitiful and beautiful: the person saying it.

Friends, God tells us we are beautiful.  Why do we keep referring to ourselves as pitiful?

We are who we are.  We are who He created.  Why do we tell Him that His handiwork isn't good enough?

<>< Katie

"You are altogether beautiful, my darling; there is no flaw in you."
Song of Solomon 4:7

2 comments:

StorytellERdoc said...

What an enlightening moment that carries a lifelong lesson!

A Cup Bearer said...

I've been listening to a song over and over for the last week. The main lyrics are, "I am beautiful -- because He says so."

Let's pray God gives us the mind of Christ on that one -- and believe it!