Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Book Review: Like Sweet Potato Pie

It's safe to say I'm behind in my goal of reading 52 books this year. The year is still young, so maybe I'll catch up.

I would like to highlight one book I finished last week: Like Sweet Potato Pie by Jennifer Rogers Spinola.

I loved it!

I read Southern Fried Sushi last fall when it came out and fell in love with it. I was anxiously awaiting the release of Like Sweet Potato Pie, the next  book in the trilogy.

I do wish I had re-read Sushi before diving into Pie but only because it was twenty-five books ago. Spinola did a great job of recapping vital parts of Sushi without making me feel like I was reading the same book or being talked down to. Like Sweet Potato Pie is predictable at times but some parts were so off the wall that you never would have seen them coming.

I love Spinola's writing style. We can all learn from her similes and metaphors! Her plotline moves, and there's no lack of humor, especially for someone like me who lives in the South but didn't grow up here.

Like Sweet Potato Pie is definitely worth reading (but read Southern Fried Sushi first).

Be sure to check out the interview I did with Jennifer Rogers Spinola last year.

<>< Katie

PS: This book was provided to me for the purpose of an online review, but all opinions are entirely my own.

1 comment:

Jennifer Rogers Spinola said...

Katie - just wanted to say thanks again for reviewing my book! :)