Thursday, January 22, 2009

Obama for Chocolate?

My apologizes, blog friends. Surprisingly, I've been a bit lacking in the "what to say" area.

I was in an informal meeting with my advisor sometime last week and a different professor came in and gave him a piece of chocolate. She announced that it was Obama's favorite kind of candy, and to celebrate her birthday, she was sharing it with the department. My advisor was a big Obama fan, and... well... I voted for McCain-Palin. My advisor told the other professor that I went out partying the night he was elected. The other professor began to open her box of chocolates before I informed her that it wasn't true. She closed the box and said, "Awe, I was going to give you chocolate if it was true."

For a brief moment, I contemplated lying and telling her I did support Obama I just didn't go out partying once he was elected. For a piece of chocolate? She doesn't have any idea that I didn't vote for him and she has no way of seeing my ballot. It's a free piece of chocolate! I ultimately let it go without saying anything, but something about that moment struck me. Would you abandon everything you believe and support for a piece of chocolate?

Maybe lying about who I voted for in order to get a piece of chocolate isn't like I'm abandoning everything I believe, but is it too far fetched? How often does Satan try and feed us lies (delicious, chocolatey lies) in order to get us to turn away from God? At the same time, do we consider hiding Jesus because it's the popular thing to do? Do we conform to the pattern of this world for a simple piece of chocolate?

I have never eaten President Obama's favorite kind of chocolate. I probably never will because I don't have any idea what it is. But I know my heart was true. I did not back down from my beliefs to gain a simple piece of candy. God has better things waiting for the faithful (even if our new president has a good taste in chocolate).

Don't read too far into this (or play devil's advocate) and think I'm calling Obama Satan or something silly like that... Regardless of whether or not I voted for him, Obama is now my president and therefore deserves my prayers. I trust he will lead this country better than I could. I know I won't agree with everything he does, but I will respect him for his decisions (even if I think they're absurd and wrong).

In Christ,
<>< Katie

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—His good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2

No comments: