Saturday, November 15, 2008

Did I Really Just Do That?

"Hey, Keith, are you going the dinner party tomorrow night?" I shouted down the dorm hallway to my friend at the other end. He mumbled something and beckoned me towards him.

The dinner party was an exclusive party and only certain people had been invited. I'd heard about it via word of mouth (from the hosts and others), so I didn't realize it was such a secret thing. Maybe it wasn't, but either way, I'd just done what I've sworn I'd never do.

I hate it when people are talking about parties in front of others who haven't been invited. Let is be a birthday party, dinner party, Guitar Hero party, anything. Whether it be they were intentionally uninvited or it just so happened that they hadn't heard about it. Either way, I strive to not mention events in front of others if I can help it.

Then I screamed down the hall to Keith about a party. There was only one person within my viewing area that hadn't been invited (and not because she wasn't invited but because it's a Spanish party and she doesn't speak Spanish), but I don't know how many heard me. I probably wouldn't have thought anything about it except that Keith had the decency to call me out on what I did. He compassionately let me know that it was in invitation-only event, so I should probably keep it quiet.

Even though it made me feel awful, I'm glad he let me know that what I did was wrong. We all need friends like that. To let us know we're wrong, even when it hurts. Even if we didn't mean to be wrong. Even if we don't like to hear that we're wrong.

<>< Katie

"Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction." 2 Timothy 4:2

No comments: