Monday, March 15, 2010

Te Amo or Te Quiero

As per tradition, the night before a mission trip our friends gather on the floot and pray over those leaving.  Last year when I went to Guatemala, Amber prayed in ASL.  This year Amber was headed on an ASL mission trip, so I teased about praying in Spanish.  I wasn't actually prepared to do that, but I did end with some Spanish just for kicks and giggles.  I said, "Dios, Te amo" or "God, I love You."

Unlike in English, Spanish has multiple words for the word "love" and multiple ways to say, "I love you."  When I first learned how to say "I love you" the teacher taught me "te amo," but I've since learned it's an intimate love typically only used between husband and wife.  A better term to use on a daily basis is "te quiero" or more of a friendship love.  I'm slowly working "te amo" out of my vocabulary and felt dumb when I said it in our prayer.  Not really like Amber knew, but I knew I used the wrong type of love.

The more I was thinking about it, the more I decided I didn't actually mess it up.  I want to know Him in an intimate way.  I want to be able to say to Him "te amo."  Don't you?

Te quiero,
<>< Katie
PS. The last part of our mission trip tradition will come to fruition on Sunday when I return to campus and take a window marker to Amber's car... dun, dun, dun. :-)

Oh, and by the way, where's the spell check button on the new blogger?  Sorry!

No comments: