Wednesday, July 14, 2010

3:42am

Let's admit it: we all face writer's block.  I've heard arguments that it deoes not exist, but reality is that sometimes the words just don't come.  Some days it's because you can't find the time and other days the blank piece of paper (or blank "Document 1") is just too overwhelming to produce anything, much less anything worth while.

A few weeks ago Nikki and I were emailing about the hectic schedules we face this summer and the lack of free writing time.  I suggested she take five minutes and just write.  Pen to paper... three, two, one GO!

But what to write?
1. Peanut Butter Bagel
"I had peanut butter on my bagel today instead of cream cheese, and I feel the need to write about it."

2. A funny or sad or embarassing or random story
It could be from fifteen years ago of fifteen seconds ago, no one really cares.  You don't have to justify why you thought about it right now.  Just write it.  Embellish if you feel like it.

3. "I don't know what to write but Katie told me to write so I am doing it."
MercyMe actually has an entire song about this (ok, without me). It's entitled "3:42am" and it's my prayer for life.

"3:42 am (Writer's Block)" by MercyMe

3:41am make that 3:42
time just keeps rolling on while I'm here stuck like glue
so many things cross my mind but nothing stays awhile... so frustrating
I just want to say something worthwhile... speak through me.

Say, say what You wanna say... and say it loudly
Say, say what You wannna say.

6:45am, man, that just can't be right
3 hours have gone by and this is all I've got
My common sense tells me I should get out of the way.... so You can speak
O, Lord, show up or I'll be here all day... speak through me.

Say, say what You wanna say... and say it loudly.
Say, say what You wanna say... speak through me.
If the idea's mine it's nothing but a waste of time.
So won't You say, say what You wanna say.

Say, say what You wanna say.
Say, say what You wanna say.
Say, say what You wanna say (say it loudly)
Say, say what You wanna say.
Say, say what You wanna say.
and say it louldy
Say, say what You wanna say... speak through me
If the idea's mine it's nothing but a waste of time
So won't You say, say what you wanna say.

Don't wait until you have time to write or you'll never write.  Make time.  And let Him use you.  Let the Writer write; you be the pen.

<>< Katie

No comments: