Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Book Review: Just a Minute

My goal for 2012 is to read 52 books. I'm already behind so I was especially grateful for the easy-read entitled Just a Minute by Wess Stafford, president of Compassion International.

It's a book of stories, stories of "just a minute" moments from people like you and me, from former sponsored children, and from well-known names. Stories that enforce the idea that a child is like wet cement, it only takes a moment to make an imprint but once it hardens it takes a chisel to change it. This can be good or bad, used for good or used for harm. Every moment matters.

The only criticism I would have was that the book almost seemed to be too many stories. I would have preferred for the concepts to be more developed in between stories rather than brief transition paragraphs.

Luckily, I don't think I was the first person to have these feelings because the conclusion goes more in depth and asks you to not put the book down and be the same person you.  Instead, you're invited to notice those little moments, take the time to affirm and encourage a child, and to realize that it only takes a minute to make an impact that can last a lifetime.

Just a Minute changed the way I look at life, both my own history and the little moments in the people around me. Not only at the breakfast table but anywhere where I cross paths with children (and really anyone since we all need to be encouraged). It brought to mind this story Andy told me about how he compared badges with a little boy in the mall.

"I have become convinced that if God stands a child before you, for even just a minute, it is a divine appointment. You have the chance to launch a life, if you will. You never know when you are making a memory." - Wess Stafford (page 14)

Do you have a minute? Pop over to justaminute.com to read an excerpt from the book and share your own "just a minute" story.

<>< Katie

PS: My copy of Just a Minute was complements of Compassion. However, all opinions are entirely my own. If you'd like to borrow it, please let me know.

No comments: