Friday, April 6, 2012

A Good Day, A Happy Day

“How deep the Father’s love for us. How vast beyond all measure that He should give His only Son and make a wretch His treasure.”

Last week my Scrabble app showed me an ad for Black Friday. I chuckled to myself realizing that Good Friday was just around the corner and Scrabble was showing me an ad for a November event.

But what if it wasn’t? What if the Scrabble app was actually talking about the event two days before Easter rather than the horrendous November tradition?

After all, calling it “Black Friday” seems all the more appropriate since the day’s events are anything but good.

“How great the pain of searing loss. The Father turns His face away. As wounds which mar the Chosen One bring many sons to glory.”

Can you imagine how offended the people who witnessed this day would be if they learned we called it “Good Friday”?

Peter would not call today good. After all, he denied his friend not once but three times. Even with full knowledge that it would happen.

Thomas would not call this weekend good. He was labeled a doubter simply because he wanted the same thing the other disciples already had.

Judas once may have thought it would be good but ended up taking his own life in regret.

Mary could not have thought it good to watch her Son be publicly humiliated before dying an excruciatingly painful death.

And Jesus. Jesus, perfect Jesus, died a criminal’s death.

How could these men (and woman) call it good?

How could they not?

While the cross caught Peter, Thomas, Judas, and Mary off guard, it was not a surprise to Jesus. It was not a surprise to God.

Even while Jesus was on the cross, God was (and is) still good. While Jesus was on the cross, God was (and is) still in control. While Jesus was on the cross, God still knew (and knows) what He was (is) doing.

On the first Good Friday, Peter, Thomas, and Judas did what we all often want to do. We all get so caught up in situations that we forget who’s really in control. We all question and ask God for signs of His power. We all want to tell God we know how to best handle a situation.

The first Good Friday Jesus, the man who could correctly answer any complex question, remained silent while false accusers convicted Him. Though less than thrilled about it, Jesus obediently suffered on our behalf. He was mocked, tortured, and humiliated. For each of us. By each of us.

“Behold the Man upon the cross, my sin upon His shoulders. Ashamed I hear my mocking voice call out among the scoffers. It was my sin that held Him there until it was accomplished. His dying breath had brought me life. I know that it is finished.”

My friend Christian put on facebook a conversation between his wife and his son. They were talking about what Jesus did on the cross, and she asked if he thought it would be a sad day or a happy day.

The four year old responded that it would be a happy day because Jesus washed away our sins.

“I will not boast in anything. No gifts, no power, no wisdom. But I will boast in Jesus Christ, His death and resurrection. Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer. But this I know with all my heart: His wounds have paid my ransom.”

Happy Good Friday. Happy day of death because in death, we are given life. A happy day. A good day. Good Friday. A day much better than the absurd November tradition.

<>< Katie

Lyrics from “How Deep the Father’s Love For Us.”

No comments: