Monday, August 16, 2010

Love Tap

My friend Laura (not to be confused with my sister Laura) was walking with a bunch of her colleagues when all of the sudden she fell to the ground.  Boom!  Down.  Everyone panicked and thought she fainted.  As someone who has often seen this happen, I will admit it does kind of look like she passes out.  Not the case.   The woman walking behind her, Megan, grabbed her firmly, supporting her as if Megan was afraid Laura was going to fall again.

"Are you ok?  I'm so sorry!  I don't really know what happened.  All I did was this," Megan said.  As she said it, she tapped Laura in the back of the knee.  Sure enough, Laura tumbled to the ground.

"You knew I was there!  You knew I was going to do it!"  Megan said.

In telling me this, Laura said she wished I could have been there because I would have just died laughing.  Even when she told me, I literally LOL-ed.

You see, most people don't know this about Laura but she falls over if you touch her in the back of the knee.  Even a simple brush; even if she knows you're there.  You touch her in the back of the knee and she falls like a sack of potatoes.  Boom!  Over the years, I've gotten really good at "tap and catch."  It's actually a useful life-skill.  I went through a phase where I intentionally or unintentionally knocked over Laura every time I saw her.  I will admit, I've made her fall without touching her... TWICE... in five minutes.  Is it wrong that I don't even ask if she's ok anymore?  I accept my much-deserved dirty look, the nonverbal request for a hand up, and the conversation continues.

Does anyone have similar stories?  Have you ever known someone who falls over with literally a tap?  The devious side of me thinks it's great fun.

<>< Katie

No comments: